Dons Supporters Together Launch
On Saturday 04 February 2012, the former AFC Trust was re-launched as Dons Supporters Together (DST). The new organisation has been formed to include all Dons fans because the next few years will be crucial to the progress of Aberdeen Football Club. DST believes all fans have a right to be heard. For maximum impact Dons’ supporters must use their collective voice with the future prosperity of AFC at the heart of their thinking.
To help increase the number of members and reduce administration costs, membership of DST is FREE and available to all Dons fans everywhere. Pre-launch promotion has already resulted in a 50% increase in membership. DST will meet the necessary running costs from a combination of donations from well wishers, business sponsorship and fund raising events.
Chris Gavin, AFC Fans representative said “opinion needs to be filtered and channelled through properly organised supporter groups. DST is seeking to pursue this objective and it is hoped they will continue to act as a strong and constructive voice within the AFC supporter’s forum and in direct dealings with AFC”
DST introduced a new prestige D.O.N.S. (Distinction of Notable Service) award that will recognise exceptional service to AFC from players, management and supporters.
The first two recipients of the award were Willie Miller (record AFC appearances) and Joe Harper (record AFC goal scorer). They were presented with superb AFC montage scrolls commissioned from local artist Dod Dow. The presentations were performed by Carrie-Ann Turriff, an ardent young Dons fan and daughter of DST Board member John Turriff
DST future objectives are as follows:
• Continue to increase membership to create a strong collective voice
• Continue to develop a constructive working relationship with AFC
• Be a positive influence in AFC’s communication with fans and stakeholders
• Actively support AFC youth development and community work
• Act as the democratic and representative voice of all AFC supporters
• Continue to strengthen links with the Scottish Football Fans Network, an organisation encouraged by the Scottish Parliament to meet the need for greater fan representation identified in the McLeish Report and demanded by supporters throughout Scotland
The DST slideshow presentation shown at the launch can be seen here